You have always wanted to know How to Start a blog as a newbie so that you can create your very first blog but you don’t know how? Stick around and I’ll let you into my very easy steps in starting a successful blog with little or no technical capabilities required.
Watch this video and learn the 5 basic steps to start a blog.
The very first step in starting a blog will require you asking yourself several questions which include but not limited to Why you want to start a blog, What you want to blog about or the Blogging resources you need to start blogging…
Why do you want to start a blog?
There are several reasons why you might want to start a blog.
- Do you just want to put your thoughts out there? Share your personal experiences and impact the lives of others?
- Do you want to use a blog to promote an already existing business?
- Do you want to make money from home?
If the answer is yes to any of these questions, then you have come to the right place.
Let’s begin by outlining the major checklist in our blog journey.
How do you want to Start a Blog?
Starting a Blog Checklist
- What do you want to blog about?
- Pick a blogging platform
- Get a domain name
- Choose a Hosting service
- Install WordPress
- Design your blog
#1 What do you want to blog about?
I believe the most important aspect on how to start a blogging career is in deciding what you want to blog about. In blogging parlance, it is called a “NICHE”.
A niche is simply the industry that you want to blog about. For instance, if you want to blog about fashion, then your niche can be said to be a “fashion niche”.
One important rule in picking a niche is making sure that it is something you have a passion for and not because it is something that can put more bucks in your pocket. As much as, some niches are more profitable than others, for no reason should you blog about something that you don’t love because you will probably lose interest faster than you gained interest. So, blog about what you love and the sky will be your starting point.
#2 Choose a blogging platform
A blogging platform is simply the service that you will be using to blog. There are so many blogging platforms that are available for you to use and most of them are open source. Which means you won’t pay a time to use them. Blogger and WordPress are by far the two most popular platforms. They both offer free blogging platforms at blogger.com and WordPress.com respectively. But while the former is majorly a free hosting platform. The latter has a free platform which is cool by the way but comes with some limitations which I won’t go into right now, I’ll probably write on it in another article.
The truth is, If you’re serious about blogging, then I’ll suggest you use WordPress . What is WordPress and what is the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org? There are two kinds of WordPress platforms.
- Hosted WordPress: These are blogs that are hosted by WordPress at WordPress.com. There are both free and paid plans depending on what you want. Despite the paid option, there are still limitations. For example, you cannot use a third party ad network on a hosted WordPress account. You will get to understand more about this as you progress with your blogging career.
- Self-Hosted WordPress (Recommended): The self-hosted blogs will require that you purchase a hosting plan and install a WordPress platform (the platform is free) which can be downloaded from WordPress.org or installed directly from your cPanel which will be provided by your hosting provider.. The limitations are endless with this WordPress plan.
In order to start a self-hosted WordPress blog, follow the subsequent steps.
#3 Get a Domain name:
The first course of action in starting a web journey, be it setting up a website or a blog specifically, is Choosing a Domain Name for your Blog or Website.
A domain name is a unique web address like www.yourname.com. To register a domain name, all you need to do is go to a domain registrar like Namecheap and search for the domain name you want to use. If you want to use a generic name, chances are that most of the names you want to use may have already been taken by someone else. So, you have to keep trying till you arrive at something you like and is available. Domains go for as little as $10.
#4 Choose a Hosting Service
After securing your domain name, the next step will be to choose and host it with a hosting provider. There are so many hosting providers out there to choose from. However, it is imperative that you choose one which is reliable. So, to this end, I’ll suggest Hostgator. Here are reasons why you should pick Hostgator over other hosting provider or atleast consider them to narrow down the search.
- They have one of the best reviews in the Hosting industry and i personally host some websites with them.
- Their support system is one of the best.
- Most importantly, they have a WordPress Hosting plan.
#5 Install WordPress
The fourth and final step would be to install the WordPress engine on your site and you’re good to go. Installing WordPress can be a bit tricky especially for a newbie, so I have prepared very easy steps in installing WordPress in your cpanel.
I hope this article has helped in explaining to you what you need to know in order to start a blog.
Author: Afam Orji
Afam Orji is the founder & Owner of Internetvisa. An IT specialist and blogger with over 10 years of experience. He has a degree in IT & BIS from the Middlesex University, Mauritius.